Thursday, March 24, 2011

March 23, 2011: Develop your "Swipe" File

I have a massive number of other people's photos. I have images that I cut out of magazines, photographed from billboards and displays, and yes, swiped from the web.

Nobody but me actually SEES these images, but they are my life blood.



You see, being a "professional" photographer, it is assumed that I am this classy, artsy kind of person who is being creative and has every little nuance of every image firmly created in my artsy little brain before I ever touch the camera.

It's a nice thought, but it ain't so. Here is your epiphany of the day.

There is nothing you, as a photographer can do, that hasn't been done before. What makes your (and my) work unique, is the way you take things that have been done before and assemble them in your own way.

So learn, "swipe", clip and review those images that really appeal to you.

What I do, is take all of those digital files and make them into a screensaver for the computer. Those images, created by the best photographers in the world, are always in front of me, inspiring me, giving me ideas, causing me to experiment to try to recreate those effects, and helping me plan on how I can USE those ideas for the benefit of my clients.

USING, playing, creating and improvising based on those magnificent images is one step that will help you become an extraordinary photographer.

Homework? Go visit some incredible photographer’s web sites. Photographers who do remarkable landscapes like Joe Brady at http://www.joebradyphotography.com/, or Peter Lik at www.peterlik.com. Another favorite of mine is www.indigophotographic.com, Michael Barton's web site. He centers on people with a delightfully unique perspective. 

The image displayed here, titled "I See your Soul", is inspired by the work of Michael Barton of www.indigophotographic.com.

Immerse yourself in the beauty of their work.

1 comment:

  1. Great tip! I browse flickr for inspiration and make a contact of photographers I enjoy. I have build up a list of photographer's websites and blogs I visit frequently. It is a constant drive to improve the way I "see" which comes out in my photography.

    ReplyDelete